Themabewertung:
  • 0 Bewertung(en) - 0 im Durchschnitt
Farewell My Converse…..Your soles contain so many memories
Aus dem Internet:

[Bild: farewell-chucks.jpg]

Ok, so, for the last 3 weeks my favourite traveling shoes….Chuck Taylor Converse, have slowly become R.S. (rat shit).

Many a backpacker have very few items they carry with them, that are important….and for me, it was these incredibly uncomfortable, yet completely perfect, hot pink chuck taylors I had scored from god knows where.

I’m not really a material and posesion kind of person. But, the demise of these shoes was heart breaking.

So, I scored this pub job. My poor, hot pink shoes started ripping. And smelling. And decaying from the wet of alcohol constantly being spilt on them. The soles had holes so big, that every puddle was like a river washing into my shoe. There were cracks down either side of the sole. The insides had been ripped apart.  My shoelaces (which my little sissy had carefully selected for me) we frayed. They no longer resembled the hip cool hot pink, but instead, displayed a tangy, dirty pink, with extremely scuffed tips of the shoe.

Now, its not that they are “so great”, as in comfy, but more of they are just my kind of shoe.

2 days ago, my boss handed me a sub and stated firmly “New shoes…Today!”…well, id been putting it off, and off and off for many reasons. I was awaiting my first pay check, couldn’t find the right fitting shoe that was ethically sourced, no time, lack of transport to shops. No longer could I make up excuses.

I’m no hoarder. I’m not…truly. And, ever since T and I lost everything that we owned in a flood last year, I have minimal attachment to objects. But, for some reason, I found myself unwilling to part with my fave hot pink chucks. I actually got a little teary when I was looking for a new pair of shoes. This baffled me, since I really have no problem with re use or donating items I own. Really, its just stuff and things.

So…I sat down today to actually think about why it upset me that I had to throw out these ugly, dirty, hot pink turned tangy pink Chuck Taylors. At first, I really didn’t have an answer to this question. Shoes were shoes. They cover your feet for protection. They cushion your feet when you walk. They add some flare to your style…..As I was going through this list mentally…

IT HIT ME.

These shoes, albeit, not very sensible travel shoes, have taken me across Europe. Into Africa. Into the United Kingdom. They had been with me to my last festival season in Australia. I had hiked up mountains in these bad boys. I had sloshed through puddles and mud in them. I had danced the night away over and over again in these little hot pink turned tangy pink chucks in so many different cities. The many shoeies id slammed down at pubs I had discovered on the road. It was the memories that I was sad of losing when I threw away my shoes. Fond, wonderful memories.

I felt as if they were apart of my journey. They were a part of me. Sounds crazy weird I know, but I swear, I actually did get a little upset when I spied a pair of cheap shoes which would be replacing my current R.S. Chuck Taylors.

My fellow worker actually made me throw them out. I took a picture of them, I said its been great, and goodbye, and then shoved them in the bin. I am now sporting a pair of LKs or London Knights….ALSO, just throwing it out there…im more of a second hand kind of girl OR, fair trade purchaser. These new shoes were probably made by people with minimal choice for jobs, in third world places. But, I had no choice, I needed to replace my shoes. immediately.

I don’t like these shoes. I know I should be grateful as there are people that have no shoes. Trust me, if it were an option to go bare foot at the pub, I would. I feel like I’m cheating on my feet, or my chucks…whichever way you want to look at it. I’m pretty certain my feet hate me at the moment. Like I’m a traitor, making them get into some new shoes. Oh lord, listen to me ramble about my shoes. BUT, ANYONE WHO HAS MET ME, WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER MY INCLINATION FOR AWESOME, COLOURFUL, JAZZED UP SECOND HAND CHUCKS.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Or am I just a nut jub…Pun Intended.
« Ein Thema zurück | Ein Thema vor »

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste